Sports equity is about fairness in sport, equality of access, recognising inequalities, and taking steps to address them. It is about changing the culture and structure of sport to ensure that it becomes equally accessible to everyone in society.” Sport England are committed to equality and diversity.
Research has shown that the following factors play a part in reducing participation in sport:
- Ethnic origin
- Social or economic status
- Cultural & religious belief
- Sexual orientation
- Gender reassignment
Specifically, the groups listed below have lower levels of participation in sport and physical activity either as players, coaches, officials or volunteers:
- Women and girls
- Black and Minority Ethnicities (BME’s)
- People with disabilities
- People from disadvantaged social or economic areas
- Older people
Energize is committed to working to ensure access to sport and physical activity across Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin regardless of individual circumstance or background.
We aim to:
- help eliminate discrimination.
- ensure that both the culture and structure of sports and physical activity are addressed and challenged to ensure accessibility.
- encourage women and girls, people from BME communities, disabled people, older people and people from a social or economic disadvantaged area to participate fully in sport.
Download a copy of the Energize STW Equity Policy here.
Where possible we will ensure that all partners with whom we work are familiar with the principles, practices and procedures with regards to this policy. We are committed to only working with partners and organisations that have effective equal opportunities policies in place, and where appropriate we will support them in developing their equal opportunities policies and procedures. Here are some of our partner’s policies.
Sports Coach UK – ‘Equality in your Coaching’
Sports Coach UK are committed to ensuring everyone is given the opportunity to participate in sport and physical activity regardless of any factors. They offer courses and workshops to enable coaches to safeguard sport and remove any barriers to participation. View these programmes on the Sports Coach UK website, click here.