All primary schools will receive an annual PE and School Sport Premium for three years until 2016.
The Government’s PE and School Sport vision and objectives which are supported by national partners Sport England, afPE, Youth Sport Trust, Sports Coach UK and County Sports Partnership Network are as follows:
All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport
To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools.
We would expect indicators of such improvement to include:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
How to use the PE and sport premium:
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer.
This means that Schools should use the premium to:
- Develop or add to the PE and sport activities that their school already offers.
- Make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
For example, Schools can use their funding to:
- Hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- Provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- Introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- Support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- Run sport competitions
- Increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- Run sports activities with other schools
Schools should not use their funding to:
- Employ coaches or specialist teachers to cover planning preparation and assessment (PPA) arrangements – these should come out of your core staffing budgets
- Teach the minimum requirements of the national curriculum – including those specified for swimming (or, in the case of academies and free schools, to teach your existing PE curriculum).
Sport England has asked County Sports Partnerships and the Youth Sport Trust (YST) to work with Local Education Authorities and School Games Organiser Networks / School Sport Partnerships to help schools with the roll out of this funding. As such Energize (the County Sports Partnership for Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin) is working with both Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin Councils with support from the YST to help local primary schools maximise the impact of this funding.
The below provides an indication of support available:
– An online self-review tool to help schools assess their strengths and priorities.
– One to one support provided by an independent advisor – to find out more please email email@example.com or call 07539 377701.
– A PE and School Sport CPD Programme to up skill primary school staff.
– An online guide to highlight the offers/opportunities available through National Governing Bodies of Sport.
– An online directory of local coaching providers, including a minimum coaching standards guide to clearly highlight what to look for when employing a coach.
– An eBulletin to provide the latest PE and School Sport news/opportunities – to sign up please scroll down the right hand side of this page
To access the above resources please click here to be redirected to our Information & Guidance section.
Support and advice for physical education continues to be provided through the Education Improvement Service (EIS). Please contact Graham Moore or Chris Mathews. Energize have identified Harry Cade, Youth Sport Manager as their lead officer and we would encourage you to use him as your point of contact in the first instance to access support for school sport. Harry is also working closely with the School Games Organisers and he will ensure that they are involved and engaged as appropriate.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 07539 377701